The Paul R. Kach, 33° Essay Competition awards $300 to each Region Winner (2 Region Winners from each of the 10 Regions) and $1,200 for the National Winners (2 National Winners). For the two National Winners, their combined winnings are $1,500.
Entries in this essay competition must be titled, “What Purpose Does DeMolay Serve in 2018?”
While the content of the essay is of primary concern, proper grammar and spelling will also be factors in the judging.
- Each entry must be an active DeMolay, not having reached his 21st birthday before or on the date of the competition deadline for submission, and must be in good standing with his Chapter.
- The essay must be an original work by the entrant and must be 1000 to 1500 words. The absolute minimum or the maximum number of words must be observed.
- Prizes will be awarded for first place entries in each DeMolay region for each category, solely at the discretion of the judging panel. All entries must be typed and double-spaced. The author’s name, grade, address, phone number, and chapter name must be the only items on the cover page.
- Only one essay will be accepted from each author.
- All essays must be received, electronically via this link not later than March 31, 2018. Region Representatives will establish an impartial judging panel for the purpose of determining region winners. Region Representatives must send all essays, with winners noted, to DeMolay@DeMolay.org no later than May 1, 2018. A national judging panel will be established through the DeMolay International Service & Leadership Center. At all levels of judging, the panelists will not know the name of the author or home jurisdiction.
- Prize winners will be informed by mail and appropriate presentations of prize checks made. The Scottish Rite and DeMolay International reserve the right to publish winning essays in appropriate publications. All essays become the property of DeMolay International.
- Previous winners will not be considered for another prize in the same age category.